musings of a goddazz

Saturday, August 02, 2008

the unstylish urban

Many of my fashion-forward friends agree with me that the looking good column in The Straits Times' Thursday supplement Urban is terribly off-the-mark when it comes to judging who actually dresses well. Week after week I cease to be impressed with the quality of good lookers featured.

Urban seems to like featuring tai tais or tai tai wannabes dripping with 5-figure sum watches, glittering jewellery and designer clothes. Many of them look showy and basking in their wealth. Why else would they reveal the cost of what they're wearing?

Apart from the ostentatious lot, Urban also likes to feature nondescript people in very normal tops, jeans and berms, and most shockingly, flip flops! Nothing wrong with flip flops, but you mean there are so few good dressers out there that there is no choice but to feature people who don't have a unique sense of style?

It also irks me that some people featured are so arrogant that they answer "Of course!" to the question "Do you think you're good looking?". The other extreme is people who say they don't look good at all, which is totally lacking in self-confidence and speaks of how poor a judge Urban has been of truly stylish people.

Lastly, the people featured are always picked from some high society event. Surely there are good lookers Urban can pick off the street instead of featuring only those who can afford to or have the fortune of attending such atas events. Urban's choice clearly reeks of elitism.

Having said all of the above, I still enjoy reading Urban very much as it keeps me in the know of what is going on in the fashion world, what's good to eat and a little bit about design and style. It's like my weekly magazine that I don't need to buy or subscribe to. Fash hag is hilarious and sharply critical without openly embarrassing those being criticised--exactly the kind of criticism I like to engage in myself! In other words, there is a little bit of fash hag in goddazz :P

I hope Urban keeps up the good work of informing its readers. It desperately needs to get its act together, however, in featuring more stylish good lookers. Which begs the question--how can we say someone has a keen sense of style when style is such a subjective thing? Yet the majority still recognises uniqueness and good design when they see it. Do we take the cue from fashion designers and those who keep their toes on the latest trends? Possibly. I like to believe that some of us are blessed with a keener sense of aesthetics and style than others. I believe a unique style can be nurtured and developed and it becomes even more distinct as one becomes more confident and sure of one's identity.

I strongly advocate looking good everyday no matter how tired or lazy one is. Humans are superficial creatures and first impressions really count. It doesn't mean one has to spend a pile on clothes and make-up, but at least looking neat and decent should become a habit. After all, dressing well is also a form of courtesy to the people you meet. I also sometimes tell people that even if I have a bad day in the office, at least I know I look good. Ah, a simple pleasure in life. And best of all, you do not need to fork out a million bucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home